Contact us about wilderness therapy employment opportunities
Available Wilderness Therapy Jobs
Wilderness Field Instructors
Trails Carolina offers a unique combination of wilderness expedition and base camp programming to help troubled teens reach their full potential.
Trails Carolina is a therapeutic wilderness program offering a unique combination of backcountry expedition and base camp programming to help troubled teens reach their full potential. Our Wilderness Field Instructors (WFI) play an integral role in this process, leading youth as they engage in a wide variety of activities;
- Group backpacking expeditions in the beautiful wilderness of Western North Carolina
- Therapeutic work with horses to teach communication skills
- Yoga and mindfulness practice to foster a holistic sense of wellbeing
- Classrooms that reignite a love of learning through nature and hands-on engagement
- Primitive wilderness skills work to build confidence and mastery in the outdoors
- Adventure education activities like rock climbing and canoeing to challenge comfort zones and create peak experiences.
Wilderness Field Instructors are trained to support our students through building rapport, managing risk, and maintaining close supervision. WFI manage challenging behaviors, create opportunities for therapeutic insight, and work alongside therapists to help our students reach their goals. This role is challenging and requires a combination of passion, grit, and care. Many have called this ‘the hardest job you’ll ever love’!
Wilderness Field Instructors work a full time year round shift rotation of 8 days with students, followed by 6 days off. Food and sleeping arrangements provided on shift.
Wilderness Field Instructors must be 21 years old or above. Must have a clear background and be able to pass a drug screen. Experience working with youth. CPR/1st Aid Certified. Ability to fulfill physical demands of hiking and backcountry camping in a wilderness setting. Desire to face and overcome the challenges of working with troubled youth.
Based in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina.
Staff housing provided on-shift, staff can live several hours away on shift schedule.
Compensation and Benefits:
Hourly based on level
Opportunity to increase in responsibility and compensation based on performance.
Health, Vision, and Dental insurance available after 30 days.
PTO for Lead WFI and above
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org