Leaders in Outdoor Therapy from Caring, Experienced Staff
Wilderness provides time for reflection and natural consequences that are the impetus for behavioral change. Our program is rooted in wilderness. We combine this therapeutic background with clinical theory and research-based practices to address the unique developmental and psychological needs of each student.
Our Approach combines what our research and experience has proven creates lasting behavioral change:
- Comprehensive traditional wilderness outdoor ventures combined with a residential base campus
- Multiple transitions from location, activities and staff to practice and refine skills
- Integrated Teams including Therapy, Family Therapy, Residential, Academic, and Equine
- Powerful Family Programs including Parent Workshop, Common Ground, Family Reunification, and weekly calls
- Individualized, experiential approach from dedicated professional
- An unparalleled focus on results for your child and the family.
“Thank you for all your efforts to make a difference in my daughter’s life going forward.”
“It impressed me how totally committed each and every therapist is to helping the families. Their compassion and understanding are remarkable.”
“I am in awe of the staff here at Trails Carolina. All the staff we met were congenial, cordial, knowledgeable, thoughtful and kind.
“Trails is a wilderness program of excellence, with individuals throughout the organization who will bend over backwards to help your teen understand the importance of trust, responsibility and accountability.”
Trails Team for Better, More Comprehensive Treatment
Your child’s team members include their primary therapist, a family therapist, field instructors, a certified teacher, and an equine specialist. This Trail’s Team approach presents your child with a diverse, integrated experience from professionals who have in-depth expertise in their respective fields. It results in a more complete program and comprehensive assessment of your child.
Different Settings and Experiences for Better Skill Development
Many Trails students struggle with anxiety, transitions, and confidence. An outdoor therapy experience undoubtedly opens a child’s mind to self-awareness and change, but many outdoor therapy programs do not challenge the child’s structure, setting, and team leadership in order to solidify the individual’s new coping skills.
At Trails, we understand that “success” might be limited to a student’s particular experience in a setting or with specific team members. In order to create lasting change, we purposely incorporate multiple transitional experiences within the program.
Family Involvement for Long-Lasting Change
Trails’ Carolina involves the family every step of the way so that healing and behavioral changes are long lasting for the entire family. Applying a family systems approach, we involve families in our program utilizing a variety of activities and approaches. This includes:
- Weekly calls from Primary Therapist with just your family to understand progress and opportunities
- Weekly exchange of letters with their child
- Family therapist weekly collaborative calls with other families in similar stages
- Parent Workshop a few weeks into your child’s stay to connect and better understand the program
- Family Reunification or “graduation” weekend
- Family Camp – a 5-day extended stay option for the entire family
More In-Depth Assessment for Personal Treatment Plans
Our Trails Team approach provides the most comprehensive assessment for your child and family. We take the extra step to see our students in different lights so that we can learn when they thrive and when they struggle. We also take into account your child in the context of family, peers, school, recreation, and self.
This provides a deeper understanding of the student and allows our team to customize your child’s treatment plan in order to have greater success.