Resources and Reviews on Trails Carolina's wilderness program.
At Trails Carolina we review leading research and outcome studies to understand our student’s struggles and how to best provide assistance. Family education through resources and participation are crucial as well.
- Attachment Orientation and the Development of Behavior ProblemsCarlyn Daubs, MS and Shelley A. Riggs, Ph.D.
Outcome Studies for Outdoor Adventures
- Research Study Treatment Outcome for Wilderness Therapy (downloadable article)
More and more research is showing that exercise is good for the developing brain. Researchers are also now working to study how exercise affects the brains and behaviors of adolescents. A new study suggests that while exercise does not improve teenagers’ performance on certain memory tasks, it does affect how their brains adapt to perform in general.
- Exercise (Physical Activity)By the American Heart Association
Site Visit and Review
- Notes on a Visit to Trails Carolina Reviews Wilderness Program Presented by Lon Woodbury
The teenage years are a prime time for experimenting and asserting independence. As teens transition into adulthood, they often become tempted by adult activities. They want to follow their parents’ lead, try the activities already done by their friends and establish their own identities. Substance Abuse frequently become involved in this mix.
- Alcohol: Effects and Risks Presented by Serenity Loans
Working with Trauma in the Wilderness
“Trauma Focused- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a conjoint child and parent psychotherapy approach for children and adolescents who are experiencing significant emotional and behavioral difficulties related to traumatic life events.
It is a components-based treatment model that incorporates trauma-sensitive interventions with cognitive behavioral, family, and humanistic principles and techniques.”
- Trails: Our Work with Trauma Victims Presented by Trails Carolina
Benefits of Wilderness Therapy
- Trails: The Positive Benefits of Wilderness Therapy Presented by Trails Carolina
Why Equine Programming Helps Troubled Kids
- Trails: The Benefits of Equine Relational Programming for Troubled Youth Presented by Trails Carolina
How Experiential Education Changes Lives
- Trails: The Positive Benefits of Experiential Education Presented by Trails Carolina
It is critical that any successful wilderness program like Trails Carolina reviews what works for lasting behavioral change. Our approach is based on decades of experience and review of research
I’m more accepting of the road ahead of me.
Audrey T., Student