Trails Carolina as an Option for Teens Who Self Harm
Self-harm is the conscious, purposeful destruction of one’s own body. It is intentional self-inflicted abuse. Self-harm is different from attempted suicide, because the intention of the harm is not to commit suicide. Usually self-harm starts in the adolescent and early adulthood years. Self-harm can turn into a habit that some have great difficulty in stopping.
Self-harm is often linked to an experience of trauma and is described by self-harmers as a way to relieve stress, decrease “numb” feeling, and many other reasons. Other terms for self-harm include self-injury and self-mutilation. Cutting is the most common form of self-injury, but self-injury encompasses all forms of self-violence, such as burning, scratching, hair-pulling, or ingesting harmful substances.
Trails Carolina is a wilderness therapy program for teens, ages 10 to 17, struggling with various issues, such as self-harm, depression, anxiety, and many more. At Trails, we combine wilderness therapy, family therapy, individual therapy, and equine programming to give holistic and full treatment to our students.
Our clinical foundation includes improving self-awareness, emotional regulation, interdependence, and transference to ensure success in our students. Each child in our program gets an individualized treatment plan that is carried out by experienced and caring staff.
Self Harm In Teens Research
“Self-injury may be linked to a variety of mental disorders, such as depression, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.” –Mayo Clinic
In a study published by the Lancet and conducted by the Center for Adolescent Health at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute along with a few other institutes, they found that about 1 in 12 teens self-harm. This is an alarming number, but 90 percent of teens that self-injury grow out of it. That still leaves 10 percent that continue to struggle and self-injury though.
In a study directed by the Cornell University Research Program on Self-Injury and Recovery, they reviewed various studies about the prevalence of self-harm among various groups of people. It’s often thought that girls self-injure more than boys, but in the review researchers found that in many studies boys were just as likely as girls to self-injure, but boys oftentimes use different techniques, such as getting in fights with the intention of getting hurt.
Contemporary Articles About Self Harm
In a report by Hollywood Life, they discussed Cara Delevingne’s battle with depression and self-harm. Cara spoke about how she fell into serious depression in her mid-teen years and as a result began self-harming. Though she still sometimes struggles, it’s not nearly as bad now and she doesn’t self-injure anymore.
Self-Harm as defined by:
Your Little Professor
Family Help and Wellness
Center for Adolescent Health at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute study
Cornell University Research Program on Self-Injury and Recovery study
Get started today
Contact us today to learn how Trails Carolina can help your family
Trails saved my daughter’s life. Amanda is an amazing human and a brilliant therapist. I am so grateful to her, Science Steve, and the other wonderful people who could reach my daughter at a time when I could not.
Margot Lowman August 2022
Great life changing experience for our son. After becoming addicted to gaming during covid he was very depressed. At Trails he experienced the wilderness, Science Steve, learning survival skills and top notch therapy and support etc… I highly recommend! This gave our son and our family a renewed family bond full of love and excitement about his bright future.
Winnifred Wilson July 2022
Outstanding clinical work and superb staff! There’s a great culture at this company and it shows with how they engage with families/clients.
Kristin Brace June 2022
At Trails Carolina, we provide a safe, healthy environment for a variety of age groups to receive treatment. We offer wilderness therapy programs for preteen boys (10-13), preteen girls (10-13), teen girls (14-17), and teen boys (14-17).
We believe that segmenting groups by age and gender allows our team of mental health professionals, wilderness and adventure camp field instructors, and accredited education consultants to provide more focused and effective personalized care to each student. Additionally, evidence shows that using segmented peer groups helps students learn to build positive relationships among their own peers. This makes the transition back to traditional school settings easier for young people. And it helps our students learn how to interact and build healthy connections for life.