COVID-19 PREVENTION PLAN
Trails Carolina is closely monitoring and reacting to the COVID-19 virus. We are following recommendations from health departments and medical professionals. Our mission always is to provide exemplary care and things are no different today.
We have responded to advice of healthcare professionals and the core of Trails programming remains unchanged. Trails has over 800 acres of our own privately accessed land across 3 different campus locations plus continued access to forest lands. One of the advantages of our wilderness model is that our program is remote. On a daily basis our students are outside in fresh air with contact limited to a small number of staff and students, which helps mitigate the risks for contracting or spreading the virus.
It is important to note that there are NO presumptive or active cases of COVID-19 among our students, staff or faculty populations.
We are strictly following the CDC recommendations for the prevention of the Coronavirus including the implementation of proactive measures for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and linens https://www.cdc.gov/
Medical staff are monitoring daily updates from CDC, WHO, State & Local Health Departments.
All staff have been trained on flu prevention information and on how to identify potential symptoms for COVID-19.
We have established a comprehensive screening process for admissions, including asking students to be symptom free for 14 days and for a physical exam to be completed in advance of enrollment. Anyone posing a risk will not be admitted.
Enrollment Group & Testing
Enrollments will take place on Thursdays only at this time. Students who enroll each Thursday will form one group and stay together with the same staff team for 7 days. They will participate in regular programming throughout their time with the group. After 5 days in the enrollment group, students will receive a nasal swab test for COVID-19. On the 7th day in the enrollment group, we receive the results of testing, and students will join existing groups.
Staff & Students
- All staff and students are screened daily for symptoms.
- Gloves are being worn for food prep and cooking.
- Support staff entering groups will be wearing masks and gloves.
- For any student exhibiting flu-like symptoms, we will immediately contact local health care professionals for the next steps on the appropriate course of action. No students have been identified as having the virus.
- Mandatory training for every employee on handwashing and hand sanitization and cough etiquette in accordance with CDC guidelines
- All non-direct care staff are working remotely.
- No outside visitors are being allowed at this time.
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting of high touch surfaces twice daily.
- Laundry being cleaned with anti-bacterial detergent.
- Additional cleaning supplies available to staff and students to help sanitize as needed.
For Current families of Trails Carolina please refer to recent emails from program leadership regarding visitation policies and any additional updates.
More information about the coronavirus can be found at: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus