Treatment Programs and Centers For Teens Struggling With Depression
Depression Treatment Centers For Teens
How Does Trails Carolina Help Teens with Depression?
Trails Carolina is a dynamic treatment center that focuses on patient growth as a guide for healing. We treat teens with depression using a mix of mindfulness-based activities such as yoga and meditation, and the top therapeutic methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, individual therapy, group/family therapy, education and awareness, and wilderness therapy.
The negative effects of teenage depression go far beyond a melancholy mood. Depression can destroy the essence of your teens personality, causing an overwhelming sense of sadness, despair, or anger.
Trails Carolina treats depression by creating a safe and healthy environment for your teenager. Your teen will have a full clinical assessment; there we can gauge what therapies will best suit her needs. The wilderness experience will provide your teen with the necessary life skills she needs in order to be successful when she reenters the world.
What are the Causes of Depression in Teens?
Teenage depression is a serious condition, and if left untreated, can be detrimental to the individual and their families. Professionals believe a variety of issues are involved in the development of depression.
Causes of depression include:
- Biological chemistry in the brain
- Early childhood trauma
- Learned patterns of negative thinking
- Having low self-esteem
- Being bullied in school
- Learning disabilities or academic problems
- Peer pressures
- Victim of abuse
- Having other mental disorders such as anxiety or bipolar disorder
- Having a physical disability or chronic pain
- Abusing drugs or alcohol
- Being LGBTQ+ in an unsupportive environment
- Dysfunctional family
- Extreme stress
Parents and teenagers alike expect young adult years to be difficult, and at times stressful. However, in recent years, stress has built up to extreme levels for teens. Not only is academic performance more critical than ever, but also social media has played a large role in teens developing depression. Being addicted to their phones, knowing what their friends are doing at all times, and also having to be someone in front of the camera has all led to higher instances of depression in teens.
Trails Carolina’s Academic Programming Helps Teens Struggling with Depression Thrive
At Trails, we’ve developed an academic program that’s approachable, yet challenging. We reintroduce education to the student within a new paradigm. Inside our program, they have clinical support that wasn’t available to them before and allows the student to demonstrate where they’ve disconnected with learning and process it.
Its important to include academics because its such a large part of an adolescents life. This is why we offer multiple credits–so that our students dont fall behind when they return to a traditional school. While they may be a little out of sync, they certainly are able to slip back into a traditional setting more easily than if there were no academic credits available.
Some of the benefits of Trails academic programming include:
- AdvancEd accredited, authentic academics
- A blend of traditional and experiential instruction
- A true mountain classroom experience
- Small class sizes
- Learning is seamlessly embedded into their daily lives, so theyre learning all the time
- Rekindle the drive to become lifelong learners
- Discovering curiosity
Many wilderness therapy programs will only focus on learning in the field. At Trails, we believe that there is value in hands-on learning out in nature. However, we also have a traditional classroom environment on our base camp. This traditional classroom setting ensures that you child’s individual academic needs are addressed.
Treatments for Teenage Depression
Trails Carolina believes in a positive and holistic approach in treating teenage depression. Our trained staff uses the most up to date methods of therapy, academics, and real-world scenarios to treat depression.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is used to help teens recognize and change negative patterns of thinking. In conjunction with cognitive behavioral therapy, Trails Carolina teaches mindfulness based stress reduction therapy. Our professionals teach yoga and meditation allowing teenagers to be in the moment, and to understand and regain control over their bodies. The tools of mindfulness are used as a coping strategy, and the teenager can use these tools when they reenter the world.
Trails Carolina also focuses on dialectical behavior therapy, which emphasizes individual psychotherapy and group skills training classes to help people learn and use new skills and strategies to develop a life that they experience as worth living. We believe in education, continual learning, and incorporating life skills.
Symptoms of Teenage Depression
Symptoms of teens with depression include:
Poor academic performance
Lack of energy
Running away from home
Drug and alcohol abuse
Feelings of shame and unworthiness
Sadness and hopelessness
Loss of interest in activities
Changes in eating and sleeping habits
Unexplained body aches and pains
How Does Therapeutic Programming at Trails Carolina help?
Trails Carolina, one of the nation’s leading wilderness therapy programs, provides therapeutic solutions for depression. Our program, located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, utilizes evidence-based clinical programming to help teens discover their happiest, healthiest selves.
Throughout their time at our program, teens gain important life skills from their experiences on wilderness expeditions and therapeutic sessions with expert clinical staff members. Our therapeutic programming is driven by three beliefs that drive each and every one of our programming decisions:
- A wilderness therapy setting enhances the benefits of therapeutic programming.
- Practicing and applying lessons gained during the wilderness therapy experience promotes lasting change for teens struggling with depression
- The family system can benefit greatly from their childs healing journey at Trails.
Throughout their time with us, students face obstacles and challenges that they must overcome. Overcoming obstacles helps students feel empowered in their ability to work through the personal challenges they are working through. With newfound confidence and motivation to succeed, students find themselves making lasting changes that transition back into the real world after theyve graduated from our program.
At Trails Carolina, our therapeutic programming is designed to meet the individual needs of each student. We combine the powerful healing benefits of wilderness therapy with traditional forms of therapy such as individual therapeutic sessions, group therapy, family therapy, and equine therapy. Our clinical programming is based on decades of evidence-based research and carried out by Master’s level therapists.
Treatment For Teens: This website contains articles related to various issues relating to mental health including treatment options, current events, and research. Parents can find information about symptoms and treatment for depression. Their website also contains a glossary which defines a variety of terms within mental health.
Your Little Professor: Your Little Professor is a resource for parents focused on a variety of challenges faced by families with a child who struggles with depression. Their website contains information about symptoms and treatment options for depression and other behavioral/ emotional health issues. It also provides information about helping teens find success in school and in their social life.
- The Unhealthy Connection Between Perfectionism and AnxietyWhile being a perfectionist can be a good thing, perfectionism can have negative impacts on one’s life. In fact, perfectionism can be directly linked to anxiety. On the surface perfectionism is basically one’s desire to be a perfect person. “Healthy” perfectionism can help motivate one to achieve goals, complete tasks,... Read more »Source: Trails Carolina | Published: April 29, 2019 - 5:29 pm
- Parent-Child Conflict: Changing Family Relationships in AdolescenceThe personal challenges children face as they transition into adolescence are difficult enough as they are; however, their changing perception of their social role can lead to strained relationships with family whose support they may reject during this difficult period. As children grow up, they believe they are expected to... Read more »Source: Trails Carolina | Published: September 11, 2019 - 3:25 pm
- New Study Reveals Effect of Healthy Lifestyle Risk Factors for Depression and Anxiety in TeensDepression and anxiety are the most common mental health issues and are often co-occurring. While they are both neurological conditions that are influenced by family history, a new study looking at behavioral risk factors of depression and anxiety in teens found that obesity, limited physical activity, and an unhealthy diet... Read more »Source: Trails Carolina | Published: May 8, 2019 - 4:22 pm